Monday, June 27, 2005

Summer is Busy! and a Big Secret

Oddly enough, this past week has been awfully busy! No time to post much, so I didn't post anything.

I hope to post more this week, but I'd like to start off by letting you all in on my most embarrasing secret.

I have the cushiest job in the world.

Yes, I have to work.
No, I don't make millions - not even six-figures.

But.

I am a tenured college professor at a community college (hence the moniker, Professor Steve).
I work two 16-week semesters, thus I work 32 weeks a year.
This means I have 20 weeks off a year.

I am not kidding.

During the weeks I do work, I work 2 full days, and two half days.
This comes out to roughly 24-30 hours a week.

I am not kidding.

I used to work in the professional world, so I know how hard most people work. That's why I am embarrased by all this time off.
I will not get monetarily rich teaching college, but I reap benefits that money will never buy.
I am home with my boys - alot. I get to talk to them, play with them, be with them. The only way to get quality time, is to have quantity time. I am there for them. Priceless.

I am home with my wife. We interact constantly. We long for more, but that will come as the kids get older.

I get to help with the kids' schooling (homeschool). We get to go on field trips all over.

Now, on the teaching end of things, I teach what I practiced for 15 years, and still do for a few clients. I get to be practical, bottom line, vocational in my approach, which suits me perfectly.

I get to interact with a wide swath of humanity, and try and be a living example of what a Christian looks like, acts like, smells like, etc. It's easy to stand out if you try and treat people as Jesus would.

I am free of the status-seeking ego race of higher education (4-year schools), where reputation, grants, status, theoretical work, etc. rule the roost. A community college is all about teaching people, not puffing yourself up. What a breath of fresh air it is.

I am so incredibly grateful for this job. I don't deserve it. I see it as a priviledge and a responsibility, not to be squandered.

More on some serious aspects of teaching later.

For now: Gratitude Index: 10

5 comments:

Professor Steve 1:50 AM, June 28, 2005  

Jeanne and Mom,

Thanks for the comments. More on teaching in upcoming posts.
Jeanne - Why don't you tell folks about editing at your blog? I am clueless about what editors do.
Mom - Did you read my posts on Disneyland? How does it compare to your recent trip to Disneyworld?

Tami 11:02 AM, July 13, 2005  

Hi, Professor Steve, I happened across your web-site today while doing some research. We have a lot in common. I am a homeschool mom of 4 boys and 1 girl. And, in my last paying job, I worked at a community college. I would love to tell you more about the homeschool blogger community at www.homeschoolblogger.com. It is a wonderful place for homeschool families to blog and connect with one another. E-mail me or visit my blog at http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Tami if you would like to know more.

Blessings! Tami Fox
fiveblessings@bellsouth.net

Anonymous 7:08 AM, December 03, 2006  

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

Anonymous 3:31 AM, December 04, 2006  

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

Anonymous 1:50 AM, January 02, 2007  

There are too little good sites. Your site is the best. Thank you for the chance to sign your guest book.
- defiantlamb.blogspot.com d
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP