Friday, May 06, 2005

They'll Know We Are Christians by Our...what?

The semester is almost over.
I teach at a local Community College (a great job I don't deserve - note to self: post in the future on your job, file under "cushy"), and I am often struck by a surprising aspect of my job: as a Christian, it is stunningly easy to be a light in a dark place.

I always thought I would love to teach at a Christian college/university - what better place to live out your faith than surrounded by fellow believers? I did teach for one year at one, and it wasn't a very good fit (more on that later, maybe).
On the heels of that, I got my current job, and have basked in the glorious job that is Community College teaching.

It is a "secular" campus, filled to the brim with "heathens" adorned with piercings, tattoos, and every now and then, some clothes. Lots of international students - mostly from asia. And finally, the campus is crawling with tenured faculty who can't get fired unless they eat one of their students.

What this all adds up to is a place where the sins of pride, arrogance, apathy and the like abound. And, because of this, I have found that if you just treat people with what I would call basic decency, it is often seen as astounding kindness.

Example:
I teach graphic design, and during "critiques" - a public analysis and evaluation of student projects - I will not berate or degrade or belittle a student. I will not at any time intentionally humiliate a student (in public or private).

What I find is that these kinds of "basic decencies" stand out and are noticed. And with some, questions start to be asked: Why is he different? What makes him tick? etc.

Do these students know I am a Christian by my theology? my doctrine? even by my faith? No.

They know I am a Christian by my love.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP