Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The blessing of migraines

Am I nuts, or what?

Let me explain, and start with a little background.
I am a pretty even genetic mix of my mom and dad. My outward appearance tends towards mom's side, and the internal workings seem to be more in line with dad. One of the things dad was kind enough to pass on to me was the family legacy of migraine headaches (gee, thanks). Now, let me post an aside here and say that within the world of migraines, I am pretty lucky. Very seldom am I incapacitated - most of the time, my headaches make me miserable, but I stay functional. I am on medication to keep them to a minimum, and thanks to insurance, I have some "magic bullet" pills that zap a headache most of the time (I say thanks to insurance, because the pills cost $175.00 for nine (9) without insurance - yikes!).

Everyonce in a while, one gets through, and I hurt for the day. Up until I started on the meds two years ago, I would get one about once a month.

Now, what do I mean by "the blessing of migraines"?
This: When a headache finally leaves (usually - for me - as evening comes, or for sure by the next morning), it is a feeling I can only describe as delicious. To feel the pain that has been scraping at you all day suddenly just evaporate, or wake to find the pain is now only a memory, is such an incredibly pleasurable experience, delicious is the only word that seems to fit. I can feel my whole body release and relax. Air, light, sounds - all seem fresh and new. Energy returns to my muscles. Hope to my heart.

I only realize this through comparison, ie: compared to the misery I was in, this feels GREAT!!!
Here's the catch: I only feel this way after a migraine. Without the pain preceeding it, the pleasure is lost.

So, are migraines worth it?

I would answer "maybe". If I was still getting monthly headaches, and they were becoming more and more incapacitating, I would say "no". But, as it stands now, a migraine every now and then reminds me anew of the glorious deliciousness of not hurting.

Broaden the context, and you can see how it applies to us all - that this is the way this life is set up. We only experience things as a contrast of something else: hot vs. cold, humid vs. dry, peaceful vs. tumultuous, etc.

God has given us a world of contrasts, a body of contrasts, a soul of contrasts.

So, I can thank God for my migraines, as an opportunity lean upon Him in the midst of the pain, and as an opportunity to discover anew the deliciousness of not hurting.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP