Friday, September 23, 2005

10 years later...

OK, so I got tagged to do this meme: it starts with what were you doing 10 years ago, and descends (ascends?) from there.

Of course, after thinking about it, I want to break the rules!

I want to go back a bit further. You see, I was going through a box in the basement (I live in southern California AND have a basement - how cool it that?) and came across an old copy of What Color is Your Parachute, a classic career/life guide book. I had written down the answers to one of the surveys in the book, and the results of it. As best I can remember, I went through the book in 1987 or so - 18 years ago - when I was a young sprout of a graphic designer.

The results were amazing.

This 18 year old survey came up with the fact that I should be in a job that values creativity, independence, private times and social interaction, a varied schedule, and revealing truth. Basically, a professor!

Now, 18 years ago, I had no idea I would end up professing - I didn't even make the decision to go back to school until three years later, and didn't get a full-time teaching job until 2000 - 13 years later.

All this to say what?
I guess, just that I spend an awful lot of time whining to God about what I want, and when I want it (now, please, Sir), and yet, looking back God has been carefully and delicately orchestrating amazing things. If I would just calm down and rest in this knowledge, what an even more wonderful life this would be!

So, on with the meme!!

Ten years ago...
I was newly married, no kids, full-time designing, part-time teaching, and TERRIBLY envious of this one man in my church who had my job! Or at least what I KNEW should be my job: a full-time gig at the local Christian University - I'll call it A Christian Most Educated University (ACME-U, for short). I wanted that job so BAD! I whined to God all the time about it. When would he get with the program and give me that job?! Now!! ...please...

Four years later, I got that job...and HATED IT! Let's just say that the other Art dept. faculty and I didn't mesh well. It was no fun. Not at all what I had dreamed. What a dismal dissapointment. Now, let me say that I got along great with the rest of the school's faculty and staff - just not the Art dept.

God, remember all that whining I did to you? Never mind.

Now, at the end of that year, I was committed to leaving, even if it meant going back to full-time designing. But, God in His undeserved generosity, gave me the job I now have (another cool story for another time) - an infinitely better fit, better job, better everything!

Five years ago...
I was starting my first year at New Perfect School!
I was also the father of two boys, with #3 on the horizon, and #4 not even in my wildest dreams.
My gratefulness index was through the roof at this point.
The only melancholy spot was that we had decided to look for a new church, after I had been there for 11 years, and my wife had been there for 6 years. There were valid reasons to look elsewhere, but it was still a sad thing.

One year ago...
I was starting year 4 at NPS, and still loving it! Thanks be to God for looking beyond what I demanded, to what was best for me.
We now had 3 boys, and #4 was cooking...
And, we had returned to our old church! Another long story for another time. Suffice it to say that Horrific Upheaval had left the church in a great place, and we are glad to be back!

One day ago...
I was scrambling to help too many students who didn't listen to the instructions, and so didn't do thing right, and so had to scramble at the last minute to get things done...and I still love it! =]
I was also already anticipating tonight's new episode of Battlestar Galactica! (yes, I'm a SciFi dweeb, so laserblast me)

One hour ago...
I was joyously downloading a bunch of Yes and Emerson, Lake and Palmer tunes from a progressive rock website - legal downloads, as far as I can tell. So, not only am I a SciFi dweeb, I'm a 70s bloated progressive rock dweeb.
Pray for my wife.

Five favorite snacks...
Vanilla ice cream with walnuts, raisins and chocolate chips mixed in. (Truly yummy! Try it.)
Taco Bell bean burritos. (They still remind me of a special treat with my mom when I was out running errands with her.)
A big glass of iced tea. (Maybe not a true snack, but my almost constant companion.)
A sandwich made with sardines in mustard sauce. (Pray for my wife)
Cold pizza. (Any kind, as long as there are no mushrooms on it!)

Five songs I know the words to...
Karn Evil 9, part I - by Emerson, Lake and Palmer (See, I am a progressive rock dweeb!)
Carpenter Gone Bad - by Bob Bennett (My all-time favorite singer. Look him up, he's worth it!)
The Hokey Pokey (It's late, I'm tired, so I'm going for the easy answers)
It's a Small World (And so do you! And now it will be stuck in your head for hours!! Bwah ha ha ha!)
Celebrate Me Home - by Kenny Loggins (A special song from my first year in college - I listened to it on the I-5 from UCSD to home)

What I would do with 5 million dollars...
All sorts of good, altruistic things.
And an insanely great stereo/home theater system!

5 places I would escape to...
I would just throw 5 darts towards the southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado), and never look back.

5 things I would not wear...
I, too, like Tracey and The Anchoress, would not wear a dress. (Although, I do got the gams for it!)
"Mr. Rogers" sweaters. (A long story for another post)
Anything I wore in the 80's!
Any jeans other than Levis - they just don't fit the same!
Those lame-o Christian t-shirts that rip-off secular brands/logos ("Be-wiser" instead of Budwiser, etc.). Come on folks, be original, not derivative!

5 favorite TV shows...
Battlestar Galactica (the new one!)
Design on a dime
A Dodgers game
Star Trek, the Next Generation
Stargate: Atlantis

5 greatest joys...
My redeemed life
Wife
Boys
The creative process
Driving in my car somewhere I've never traveled.

5 favorite toys...
My Car
My Mac (Powerbook)
My Guitar (12 string)
My Tools in the Garage
My Boys - nothing is better than playing with them!

Who do I now hand this off to?
You!

3 comments:

Anonymous 7:14 PM, September 26, 2005  

first timer at your blog. very ecclectic in thought. i like it. check out mine if you'd like.

Anonymous 9:58 PM, October 30, 2005  

Hi there " Professor Steve " --- I was in the search engines researching SEO Software when I came upon your blog..... I don't know if you are out of place in the engines, or I am out of place and just don't realize it :-)

Anonymous 10:04 AM, April 03, 2006  

Hi i was searching for ##keyword##, i found your blog. Great Blog,
Congratualtion for your great blog. i will keep on reading.
thanks
##link##

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP