Tuesday, January 25, 2005

An easy yoke? A light burden?

More on this later, but I wanted to start my mind spinning on this one.

Jesus said that "My yoke is easy, My burden is light" (paraphrase, close enough for late posting).
Living within the Christian community, all too often, this phrase seems a million miles away from what we are asked - by others - to do. I had a former student talk to me once about the fact that they were walking away from the Christian faith. When I asked why, the answer was not what I expected. I was ready for a debate on the validity of the claims of Christianity, and instead, I was told that life was just easier not being a Christian. Relying on oneself made them happier.

How do you argue against this?

It's not a matter of propositional truths - it's a matter of personal experience. Someone in my students' life made the yoke hard, and the burden heavy.

Shame on them. Shame on us.

Can the Christian faith be an easy yoke, a light burden?

More later. Comments more than welcome.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP